Sunday 15 March 2009

Kirsti & Micheal's Engagement Ring

The last couple of weeks I have been working on Kirsti and Michael's engagement ring. They saw a ring they liked and sent me a picture. I sourced a princess cut diamond for them and did some design drawings to give them a few more ideas. Once they had chosen the final design I carved it in wax. The model was then approved by Kirsti and I sent it off to be cast in platinum.
When a ring comes back from the casters it is still in quite a rough form and has to be filed, sanded and polished before it starts to look good. Platinum is a very hard metal and takes a lot of work to get it to the high polish that we all love it for. It was then sent to the assay office for hallmarking (this is to assure the customer that the correct standard or purity of metal has been used) and on it's return the stone was set.
So now the ring is ready to go to it's new home 'up north', Kirsti is eagerly awaiting it's arrival, although I hear that Micheal is going to make Kirsti wait before she can officially have the ring.
Once it's on the finger, I'll post a picture.